Family Resource Center

Health Insurance

Penn requires that all full-time and dissertation students have health insurance. Students can elect the Penn Student Insurance Plan (PSIP) or other acceptable alternative coverage.

Penn Student Insurance Plan

The Penn Student Insurance Plan (PSIP) is available for all students, as well as their dependents (spouses, domestic partners and children). You will be automatically enrolled in the PSIP unless you provide proof of acceptable a lternative coverage by the deadline. However, your dependents are not automatically enrolled in PSIP; you must enroll them through the on-line system. For more information about PSIP, the costs, and how to enroll, go to the Student Health Insurance website.

The Health Insurance Marketplace helps uninsured people find health coverage, including private insurance, lower cost based on household and income, Medicaid and CHIP.

Private Insurance

There are other health insurance options in addition to PSIP, but your private insurance must qualify as acceptable alternate coverage. The Student Health Insurance website has more information about acceptable alternate coverage requirements.

For more information about private health insurance options, including options for low-income families, please visit the Pennsylvania Insurance Department website. Low-income families may also want to review information about the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP). Additional information about these programs and other social services for Pennsylvania residents is available through the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Access to Social Services (COMPASS) website. Finally, there is also useful information at Covering Kids & Families.


Student Health Service

You and your spouse/partner can use Penn's Student Health Service, even if you are not enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan. Your spouse/partner needs a PennCard and will be charged on a fee-for-service basis. The Student Health Service website has more information. Children, however, are not eligible to use Student Health, so you will need to find a pediatrician for your children. Your health insurance plan can help you identify an appropriate pediatrician.

Healthcare During Pregnancy

Expectant mothers can go to Penn's Student Health Center for Women's Health services, which are available even if you are not enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan. The

Obstetrical care is also available at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and Pennsylvania Hospital.

The health care law requires most health insurance plans to provide breastfeeding equipment and counseling for pregnant and nursing women. Health insurance plans must provide breastfeeding support, counseling, and equipment for the duration of breastfeeding. These services may be provided before and after you have your baby. These rules apply to Health Insurance Marketplace plans and all other health insurance plans, except for grandfathered plans.

Additionally, the Philadelphia Alliance for Labor Support provides trained labor and birth support people (doulas) free of charge to women who would otherwise be unable to access doula care.

Finally, you can also check your health insurance carrier for a list of Ob/Gyn doctors in their network.

Counseling & Psychological Services

Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) offers free and confidential counseling services for Penn students individually, as well as Couples & Family Therapy.

Penn Recreation

Graduate and professional students have access to free memberships. Spouses/partners, and children under 18, can join Penn's gyms for a membership fee.