Join the Family Resource Center!
University of Pennsylvania students and post-doctoral fellows with children must be registered to use the Family Center and must adhere to our guidelines.
To join the Family Center, fill out and sign our Parental Release & Consent Form. Joining the Family Center also makes you eligible for emergency backup child care, provided by Parents in a Pinch, Inc. Names of students who are registered with the Family Center are shared with Parents in a Pinch so they can verify your eligibilty.
Family Resource Center Guidelines
The Family Resource Center (the "Family Center") welcomes all Penn students with children and their family members. Our mission is to create a space where student and post-doc families from the University of Pennsylvania community can access resources, information and supportive programming.
PLEASE NOTE: THE FAMILY CENTER IS NOT A DAYCARE CENTER. WE ARE NOT EQUIPPED OR AUTHORIZED TO PROVIDE CHILDCARE SERVICES, AND WILL NOT PROVIDE OR BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CARE OR SUPERVISION OF CHILDREN WHO ARE ADMITTED TO THE FAMILY CENTER.
All families and children use the Family Center at their own risk. Each child's parent or other legal guardian must register and sign the Family Center's consent and release prior to using the Family Center for the first time and must use nametags at all times while at the Family Center.
All children under the age of 18 must be accompanied and supervised at all times by his or her parent, legal guardian, or designated childcare provider (defined below). No adult may supervise more than three (3) children at one time at the Family Center. This includes designated childcare providers. In the event a child is left unattended, or an adult otherwise violates these requirements, the child and accompanying adult may be required to leave the Family Center immediately.
- The Family Center reserves the right to refuse entry to any person, or require any admitted person to leave the Family Center immediately, in the event that a member of the Family Center's staff determines (in his or her sole discretion) that the person's behavior (or the behavior of a companion of such person) violates any Family Center rules, any University policy, or is otherwise inappropriate. If that person is caring for a child, the child will also be obligated to leave. One violation is enough to suspend privileges. Any staff decisions to revoke usage privileges may be appealed by writing a letter to the Director of the Graduate Student Center.
- Each child admitted to the Family Center must be accompanied and supervised by the child's parent, legal guardian or Designated Childcare Provider. Each Designated Childcare Provider must be designated as such by the child's parent or legal guardian in a signed Family Resource Center Parental Consent and Release. A signed Release naming the Designated Childcare Provider must be on file with the Family Center in order for a child to be admitted under the supervision of a Designated Childcare Provider.
- The Family Center is not responsible for any property brought into the Family Center. A lost and found box may contain misplaced items.
- Please wipe items with sanitary cloths after your child is finished playing with Family Center toys. These cloths are provided by the Family Center.
- You must accompany your child(ren) at all times while visiting the Family Center, including trips to the bathroom.
- Family Center property is not to be removed from the facility. Violators will be assessed replacement costs for any lost or missing items. If it is determined that the removal of any item(s) was deliberate, the offender will no longer be admitted to the Family Center.
- Users of the Family Center must return all items to their proper locations.
- In the case of an emergency, please notify the Family Center staff immediately and call 911 or the University of Pennsylvania Police at 215-573-3333. There is a first aid kit in the Family Center.
- All violation of these rules or similar incidents (injury, theft, inappropriate behavior, etc.) must be promptly reported to the Family Center staff.
- The Family Center hours are 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Monday through Friday during the academic year. The Family Center will be closed on all University holidays and for occasional maintenance. Refer to the posted Family Center calendar for specific dates.